For Neopets ONLY discussion.
Topic locked

User Lookup Spotlight

Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:59 pm

I was looking at some of the winners of User Lookup Spotlight to see if my lookup would be worth entering, and I found out that some of them are actually...really plain. It's the same with Site Spotlight, too - some of them are really, really awesome, and them some of them aren't all that great. A few of them look like they barely did anything, except maybe put in a different background and put in a banner. I don't really understand why some of them were picked, unless maybe there weren't many entries that week. I also find it strange that a few people entered, then abandoned their account, and they won but don't even know it. You'd think that if you entered something in a spotlight you'd stick around to see if it won or not. XD

Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:04 pm

A lot are just chosen if there is a special day, i.e. poogle day - they'll make sure the lookup is poogle related, so sometimes they don't have much choice

Re: User Lookup Spotlight

Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:05 pm

labbiedor wrote:I was looking at some of the winners of User Lookup Spotlight to see if my lookup would be worth entering, and I found out that some of them are actually...really plain. It's the same with Site Spotlight, too - some of them are really, really awesome, and them some of them aren't all that great. A few of them look like they barely did anything, except maybe put in a different background and put in a banner. I don't really understand why some of them were picked, unless maybe there weren't many entries that week. I also find it strange that a few people entered, then abandoned their account, and they won but don't even know it. You'd think that if you entered something in a spotlight you'd stick around to see if it won or not. XD

I haven't looked at too many really... But I think it's generally the case with those type of competitions that the early winners are outshined by the later winners.

As for those abandoning Neopets, it often takes forever before TNT lets you know whether or not you've gotten in... Someone here (Kess maybe?) got in 6 months after submitting, IIRC.

I'm fairly confident in mine eventually being chosen... :)

Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:11 pm

Duke of Earl wrote:
labbiedor wrote:I was looking at some of the winners of User Lookup Spotlight to see if my lookup would be worth entering, and I found out that some of them are actually...really plain. It's the same with Site Spotlight, too - some of them are really, really awesome, and them some of them aren't all that great. A few of them look like they barely did anything, except maybe put in a different background and put in a banner. I don't really understand why some of them were picked, unless maybe there weren't many entries that week. I also find it strange that a few people entered, then abandoned their account, and they won but don't even know it. You'd think that if you entered something in a spotlight you'd stick around to see if it won or not. XD

I haven't looked at too many really... But I think it's generally the case with those type of competitions that the early winners are outshined by the later winners.

As for those abandoning Neopets, it often takes forever before TNT lets you know whether or not you've gotten in... Someone here (Kess maybe?) got in 6 months after submitting, IIRC.

I'm fairly confident in mine eventually being chosen... :)

You're lookup's a lot better compared to some of the ones they've chosen! :D

I might enter mine, I don't know yet. I need to change the sidebar, though, the links don't match up. D:

http://www.neopets.com/randomfriend.pht ... =labbiedor

It needs a little tweaking, but it's mainly finished.

Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:17 pm

labbiedor wrote:You're lookup's a lot better compared to some of the ones they've chosen! :D

I might enter mine, I don't know yet. I need to change the sidebar, though, the links don't match up. D:

I originally tried using the default sidebar link locations, didn't quite work. That's not essential for getting into the spotlight though (check back a few weeks, slushie lookup I think). I've refined my code to the max so that I could squeeze in most of the buttons on the left with the correct links... something like 1500/4000 chars was taken by that...

You can get rid of the regular sidebars with some short code as well...

Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:23 pm

Duke of Earl wrote:
labbiedor wrote:You're lookup's a lot better compared to some of the ones they've chosen! :D

I originally tried using the default sidebar link locations, didn't quite work. That's not essential for getting into the spotlight though (check back a few weeks, slushie lookup I think). I've refined my code to the max so that I could squeeze in most of the buttons on the left with the correct links... something like 1500/4000 chars was taken by that...

You can get rid of the regular sidebars with some short code as well...

I know, I might just get rid of the sidebar completely. It takes me a while to make one (at least 2 hours) and then I have to make sure the links line up, and if they don't I have to make it all over again. I have to wait for the stupid petpages to be up again, though, so I can check csshelp's page. I'll just make a banner or something and place it there instead.

Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:33 pm

Labbie: IMO, might be best you got rid of the sidebar.I have the halloween sidebar and your sidebar looks weaird with von roo popping out at the bottom.
If you have photoshop..that would make making a sidebar fast since you can easily change the text and keep the size the same.

Userlookup spotlight is just like Gallery spotlight. TNT will only pick winners if they're based on whatever theme is going on on Wdnesday. Right now anyone with a Lost desert look up has a high chance to win since they kept picking CoM look ups when that plot went. it's kinda annoying IMO.

My look up only has one shot to win and that's on grarrl day. -.- Mine's not that grand, now that I look at other people's look ups. So I really have a 0 chance of winning. I'm maxed on adding anything else now.

I never knew it took Kess 6 months to win. Her look up is plain awesome and should have won long ago.

EDIT: BTW when you submit your look up for spotlight...there's no hero option and mine is based on a hero, so what would you submit it under? O_o

Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:40 pm

Armi wrote:Labbie: IMO, might be best you got rid of the sidebar.I have the halloween sidebar and your sidebar looks weaird with von roo popping out at the bottom.
If you have photoshop..that would make making a sidebar fast since you can easily change the text and keep the size the same.

Userlookup spotlight is just like Gallery spotlight. TNT will only pick winners if they're based on whatever theme is going on on Wdnesday. Right now anyone with a Lost desert look up has a high chance to win since they kept picking CoM look ups when that plot went. it's kinda annoying IMO.

My look up only has one shot to win and that's on grarrl day. -.- Mine's not that grand, now that I look at other people's look ups. So I really have a 0 chance of winning. I'm maxed on adding anything else now.

I never knew it took Kess 6 months to win. Her look up is plain awesome and should have won long ago.

EDIT: BTW when you submit your look up for spotlight...there's no hero option and mine is based on a hero, so what would you submit it under? O_o

I'm making a new sidebar, I think I'll make it long enough so goes most of the way down the page. I've asked people on the Neoboards to rate my lookup (on another layout) and it didn't have a different sidebar, and they were like "OMG IT'S TOO PLAIN BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE A DIFFERENT SIDEBAR!!!! 0/10!!!". And also, the default sidebars stick out horribly against the other colors.

Well, I never saw anyone else with a grarrl lookup. So if you enter, who knows, you could win! :P

Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:56 pm

A lot of people took thiers down or modified them after they had won. Especially after the top banner was added.

Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:17 am

stampsyne wrote:A lot of people took thiers down or modified them after they had won. Especially after the top banner was added.

???

TNT stores the code you use for your lookup, so you can change it again after you submit it without changing what TNT will judge... (though if you remove images from a server, that's different).

I do see how that could affect the earlier entries though.

Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:10 am

I was making userlookups for a while, but then the TNT changed their coding. Then they changed the order of the sidebar, then they changed the coding again. I hope they NEVER EVER EVER DO THAT AGAIN!

*grumbles*

Anyways,
I've looked at some winners, and some are truely wonderful lookups, and some are honestly kind of plain. I'm wondering if the TNT judges partially on age? (Ex. An under 13 account that submitted a kindof plain one can get away with it?)

This is the one that I submitted. I was rather hoping it'd get picked for pirate/poogle day, but oh well.

http://neopets.com/randomfriend.phtml?user=cat1205123
Topic locked