Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Neopets Warning!! (-- Clear --)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:00 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

It has come to my attention that there has been a breakdown on the integrity of Neopets' security.

There have been many reports of hacking and inappropriate images plastered all over.

DO NOT go to user shops / lookups / galleries as there have been reports of Cookie Grabbers and other means of hacking thru this method.

The suggested course of action is to change your password. Sign off for the night.

Again, The best course of action:
* CHANGE PASSWORD
* SIGN OFF FOR THE NIGHT
(edit)
* BLOCKING NEOMAILS has also been suggested

The plot can wait.

Last edited by ScottNak on Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:09 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Egad! Wonder if the fires and black outs in the area are a factor.

*explains why the neocam hasn't changed*

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:24 am 
PPT God
PPT God

I've was just auto-logged out. Did this happen for everyone else?

I'm in the process of trying to change my password, now. scary.

Edit: I was able to change my password ... but I have logged out now. Nothing seemed weird with the account

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:31 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

How many reports of hackings have there been, and where can we read them?

This is not cool, especially right when the plot's going on... bah. I changed my password and logged out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:32 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

One of my friends got a serious cookie grabber from a shop; she self froze.

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:38 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

I've changed my password and logged out.. I'm gonna start being paranoid and deleting my cookies once every few hours from now on, just watch. x.x

This is terrible though.. -.- I hope someone catches all of this and gets rid of it quickly..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:41 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

It's always got to be something with idiots like this doesn't it? I mean, they just can't leave things alone. I've seen a few "reports" of this hacker already on the neoboards in just a few minutes saying that the guys just doing it to get Neos attention to problems on the site. But it's bloody ridiculous if thats the case isn't it? Creating more problems then they get bloody well fixed.
Bah.
Stupidity. Attention seeking, idiocy induced stupidity.
It's like lighting a forest on fire to gain attention about pollution. It only creates more problems then it fixes.

Evisceration is a sign of respect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:41 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Unfortunately seeing that the staff has already left for the night... I can't imagine this getting fixed anytime soon.

Which is why I suggest just calling it a night for tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:47 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Avoid a guy named free2play1, apparently his lookup and his shop and whatnots are filled with grabbers. He's been advertising as the one doing the hackings on the boards.

*shrug* I have this big doubt... that thats actually the person; but this could just be me being... me. If I was to hack (which I don't, far to noble, and too computer illiterate for that matter) why would I want to go telling people?

Meh.

Evisceration is a sign of respect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:50 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

:( Well I have homework to do anyways. -shrugs and changes password before logging out-

Set by Pixa!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:06 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

Cookie grabbers are bad, but you have little to worry about from them IF you have Firefox and IF you choose to be protected from them.
IF you have firefox then go into Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> Cookies -> and then check the box next to "For originating website only"
What this means is that only neopets can read cookies that were placed by neopets. This warning may be a little late if you've already been to a page with a cookie grabber, and the advice given earlier in this thread STILL APPLIES, but in the future this option will make your computer more secure against such attacks.

!EDIT!: Actually, you might still have something to worry about. If this hacker has found a way to plant a cookie grabber script into a neopets site (his UL for instance) then it might still be able to get you. I would sugest only using a side acount if you absolutely must log tonight

- UL winner #27 - Neopets username: rain_the_windflower -
- User Lookups and recolored sidebars on my Uni's petpage -

Last edited by Rain_rTw on Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:10 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Rain_rTw wrote:
Cookie grabbers are bad, but you have little to worry about from them IF you have Firefox and IF you choose to be protected from them.
IF you have firefox then go into Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> Cookies -> and then check the box next to "For originating website only"
What this means is that only neopets can read cookies that were placed by neopets. This warning may be a little late if you've already been to a page with a cookie grabber, and the advice given earlier in this thread STILL APPLIES, but in the future this option will make your computer more secure against such attacks.

ScottNak's point ... I think ... was that if people were able to mess with their shops/galleries/etc and put some sort of Cookie grabber in it ... then there would be no problems with getting at your cookies ... and they would easily be able to read them because it *was* on the Neopets site.

If I understand things right. I never did really get those cookie settings.

Last edited by XenaAndGabrielle on Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:10 am 

What a lot of crap!!!! Stupid people are being scammed, not hacked. Read this page petpage. NoYouWereNotHacked<hr>
ahoteinrun wrote:
....... If I was to hack (which I don't, far to noble, and too computer illiterate for that matter) why would I want to go telling people?

Meh.

And why would you waste time with New Member accounts if you were a hacker? Why wouldn't you hack somebody like featheralley or jazz_invincible? And why would you be hacking Neopets and not Swiss bank accounts? The people on the boards suffer from too much 'groupthink' and never stop to look at the impossibilities, only the rumours :D

SNak Edit: Don't double post. If you have something to add, use the EDIT button on the top right corrner of your post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:21 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

cosmicaxe wrote:
What a lot of crap!!!! Stupid people are being scammed, not hacked. Read this page petpage. NoYouWereNotHacked

This is probably true for the vast majority of 'people who are hacked', but truth be told a cookie grabber can hack your account, in fact, I think it is one of the only known ways that someone can 'hack' into your account. Although more often then not someone is duped into reveling too much and their account is taken that way.
Reveling your email address is another way to be hacked. Yes professionals can hack your email account and then try to log in as you and say they 'forget their password'...

I suppose that if this hacker was able to get a cookie grabber script into a neopets page (which I doubt) then it would be a very serious business indeed. As the edit in my earlier post says, the method I pointed out would work against most cookie grabbers(since they are mostly off-site) it would do nothing against this sort of mischief.

- UL winner #27 - Neopets username: rain_the_windflower -
- User Lookups and recolored sidebars on my Uni's petpage -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:22 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

cosmicaxe wrote:
What a lot of crap!!!! Stupid people are being scammed, not hacked. Read this page petpage. NoYouWereNotHacked

With all due respect, I doubt many people will want to visit that petpage with reports of cookie grabbers on Neopets pages floating around. ;) Summarize it for us?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next