Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:45 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:55 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

lucifer wrote:
Dunno what about you, but i think that these rules in the FAQ just sucked the fun out of the game.

well, i'm talking about - no using the New Member of New Member, no price fixing, no competitions in guilds, not giving my old account to a friend, not letting my friend play games for me (now how the hell are they going to enforce it?) - no nothing. you can't move or breathe because it violates the Utopian world of neopets.

COME ON!! I don't play neopets for having my cute pink Cybunny, feeding it and giving it faerie plushies. I play neopets mainly (maybe only) for the trading system, the whole neopoints system. making money is such a fun thing, especially when you don't risk real money. being a clever trader, planning strategies to earn money, sometimes using your experience against inexperienced players, making guild competitions.... its like TNT says: "hey, all the good methods of making money are forbidden!!! they are too good to be true!! its not fair that player with 3-years experience will make money easier than someone who just joined the game, it ruins the perfect utopia with little blond kids and green hills and butterflies we're trying to build here!!".

I'll be using the same old trading tricks. If they want to freeze me for that, well ok then, I have no problem: I don't really have much more to look for in this site except this.

(and don't say i didn't warn you: their next step will be Communist site where everyone has exactly the same amount of money, and if you're making money faster than someone else, you'll be either frozen or hanged by the loyal police of the big brother).

OK, first of all trying to scam or take advantage of anyone has been against the rules, it's just spelled out more clearly. I don't see how the FAQ saying this:

Quote:
Q. I recently sold a Bendy Sword of Skardsen for 10,000,000 nps to a New Member (i.e., a new player) and was frozen. What did I do wrong?
A. Neopets does not allow users to trick other people or take advantage of a player's "put the personally disliked word here" to profit. In those instances, a monitor can freeze the offender or administer some other sort of Neopian justice.

is taking the fun away, if anything it adds something -- a small sense that taking advantage of someone else is not going to be tolerated.

Contests, raffles, ftp, giveaways have been against the rules for quite some time now (I've been on for almost 3 years - these were always against the rules, they started to really enforce it because of all the scams). Guilds have been deleted/guild owners and council have been warned or frozen. Same goes for things on the boards and in shops. Once again, they basically re-wrote that so it is crystal clear.

Playing games for someone else to get an avatar is, IMHO, cheating. And you're setting yourself up for losing your account. Who's to say that the person you let into your account won't just empty it out or even that they won't take it over? Believe me, TNT has ways of knowing who's in an account and from where. I watched a case of this unfold on one of the boards - people had been "helping" each other by going into each others' accounts and playing games for avi's. Guess what, they were frozen for cheating; and a staff member did post on that board without giving specific IP addresses told the person complaining that their main account had been frozen how many different IPs had accessed their account and when.

The new rules don't specifically say you can't give an account to someone

Quote:
Q. I like my new account much better than my old account and I have a friend who wants my old account. Can I give it to her?
A. Sorry but you are not allowed to sell, trade, share or buy a Neopets account or pets for Neopoints, money, items, or anything else -- even to your very best friend in the whole world. To deactivate an unwanted account, go here. You may place an unwanted pet into the The Neopian Pound, if you wish.

-- but the Chat Rules do. Now, if you have an old account you don't use and a roommate or family member who'd be playing on the same computer, I don't know that this would be a big issue ... all that would be needed would be a change of email (I think - but I would chance it myself). The new rules specifically make it clear that you can't trade, share or buy an account. I like that they added the sharing. I've had many a disagreement over that one - me saying it's wrong and the other person yelling at me that it's not in the rules.

I understand your point that for you the fun part is trading, making np, etc. ... but remember, the name of the site is Neopets, not Neopoints, Neostuff. The pets - creating/adopting, feeding, training, reading to, painting, etc. are supposed to be the focus of the site. I didn't read anywhere that

"hey, all the good methods of making money are forbidden!!! they are too good to be true!! its not fair that player with 3-years experience will make money easier than someone who just joined the game, it ruins the perfect utopia with little blond kids and green hills and butterflies we're trying to build here!!".

There's good methods of making np that don't involve scamming, cheating or taking advantage. I don't know what your "same old trading tricks" are, but as long as you're following the rules, you shouldn't have problems.

I think in general the new T&C and FAQ especially are helpful. Yes, there are a couple of things that could and probably should have been added just for clarification - sending np to side accounts; sending/trading with someone who shares a computer, especially with the holidays coming up and people wantint to surprise each other with (maybe expensive) gifts.

What the new T&C and FAQ make clear are things that honest players want and need to know so we have less chance of accidentally breaking an unknown/unreadable/vague rule, and that newer players need to read to learn how to not break the rules and not be scammed.

Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:19 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

The contest thing still doesn't mention competitions, so I'm going to assume those are still allowed. In the Neopets magazine article, it said that competitions are allowed, as long as prizes are not mentioned:
Quote:
Contests vs. Competitions
Often times, when attempting to generate interest in their guilds, people will make the mistake of offering 'contests.' Regardless of whether their intentions are noble or not, the fact is that this is simply not allowed on the Neopets site. Any time that you say, "I will give you a reward for winning (or even participating) in such and such an activity," then you are entering a situation where, more ofthen than not, people end up getting scammed.

On the other hand, if you announce to your guild members that a competition is being held (let's say, a competition to see who can make the best drawing), and you do not offer or promise any prizes as part of the competition, then that is perfectly within the rules of the neopets site. Now, as the person running the guild, you have an active interest in getting as many people as possible to participate in our competition (because, naturaly, the more people who take part, the more interest there will be in your guild).

Therefore, if you decide (after the competition has taken place) to give one/some of the particiaptn(s) an item(s) of your own, then there's nothing wrong with that, either - after all (at least in theory) people didn't sing up for your competition because they were being told they would get something, remember? By the same token, there are no rules saying that you can't just give someone an item out of the kindness of your generous little heart. Wink

So, just to recap:
A contest is an activity where the participants are offered (or promised) the possibility of receiving a prize in exchange for participating in (or 'winning') that activity. This is NOT allowed on the Neopets site.

A competition is an activity in which participants are never offered (or promised) the possibility of receiving a prize in exchange for their involvement. They participate solely because they want to. This is allowed by the Neopets site. keeping this in mind, should ghe proprietor of a guild decide to give an item(s) to someone who happened to be a particiapnt in one of their competitions, then this is okay, as there are no rules against this on the Neopets site.
I believe that is from the September 2004 magazine. However this makes me wonder whether the set competitions in "No Nutritional Value" are allowed? Although it says "on the Neopets site", and this isn't, so I guess it is.

bgryph wrote:
What I find puzzling is the "giving an account to a friend" question: the fictional questioner asks if it's OK to give an account to someone else and TNT responds that you can't sell or trade for accounts.

Which is fair enough -- I understand why they don't want people selling accounts -- but not what the question asked.

I don't see any good reason we shouldn't be able to give accounts out the way we give pets -- as long as we give them freely, what's the problem?
You're right, they didn't answer the question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:30 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

AQ, I have the magazines, and the way the person set up their competitions was interesting. Nothing required to "enter" as far as a "donation", entrance fee, item, etc. and NO mention of prizes (I think the word prize may raise a red flag) for anyone. Just if something is done within the guild and whoever wants to send a participant something after the fact, that's fine.

To be honest, I don't know if that's still the case. I know, alot of guilds do have thinly veiled contests by calling them "competitions". Alot also have donation shops, MOTW, MOTM, giveaways, etc. I've been guild hunting and have not found one I think I'd fit in with that doesn't have the above. I just won't join a guild that has any of that.

I also wonder about our own set "contests" here, because I know the old rules (I haven't read the long version of the new ones :oops: ) said on or off site contests and there is this in the new T&C which I just re-read (and bolded the part that I think might speak to these:

Quote:
2. Using Neopets Artwork Off The Site.
You can display our pictures on your own personal web pages for your personal noncommercial use ONLY as long as you write either "Copyright 2000-2005 Neopets, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Used With Permission" or "(c) 2000-2005 Neopets, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Used With Permission" on EVERY page with our pictures and/or text and you link directly to us. By the way, this means that you can't sell ads, barter for stuff, offer your services, or otherwise earn money, Neopets' Items, or Neopoints either on web pages that contain our pictures and other Materials, or by using our pictures or other Materials, such as by offering to make Neopets banners or backgrounds for others. If there is anything you are unsure of about this, please contact us using this form and we will do our best to give you a quick answer.

At the very least, maybe they should be called competitions and not contests anymore? Anyone know what the word on this is?

Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:38 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

I'm also glad that they clarified the rules better, but I'm also still left with questions.

RE: Giving away an account. I don't see what the big deal would be. Say you're quitting Neopets, or just getting rid of a side account. You can:

1. Use the Pound to give your pets to a certain user, and then send them all of your items/NP/etc. - Seems to be ok to do.

2. Give them your account, basically doing all of the above without the hassle, and they get an account with a different username. - Not ok.

Furthermore, let's say that that "certain user" who's getting all your stuff makes a new side account to hold it - now they have a new account regardless. What's the difference? Besides things like game scores, avatars, sidebars, etc., there really isn't any difference.

I am quite happy that I recently became guildless. One less thing to worry about. Every guild I've ever been in has had contests, and even though I never bothered to participate in them, I wonder if TNT would just ice the whole guidl?

I do think TNT are extremely overprotective with their rules, but I also realize it's become a kid's site. However, I still wish, since so many adults play on there as well, that we could have our own place where some things weren't monitered so much. For instance, I've met some very close friends on Neo, and now with all the rules(no names, IM's, etc.), Neo has basically made it so if you make a friend on their site, you can only talk to that friend on their site.

"It's just a ride." ~ Bill Hicks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:31 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

The giving away an account thing is I believe just to stop it being spotted as a hacked account. If suddenly a new IP is in the account selling off items and making themselves at home it isn't unlikely that tnt will pick it up as a hacked account and freeze it for the original owner.

Likewise if you give away a whole load of items at once to a different IP they make think someone has got into your account from your own pc and is hacking you that way resulting in both accounts being frozen.

The best way to do it is the same as always, close down the account slowly moving items to whoever you like and then freeze the account. It would be terrible to move into someone elses account with their blessing only to have both it and the your other accounts on that IP address all frozen :S

Petpet Central

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:52 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

oh my, i guess that too many people misunderstood what i said.

well, first of all, let me clarify something: telling any false fact or spreading rumors or forcing people to make an unfair deal - all are lousy ways to scam.

I don't see why those overpriced-malls are permitted and trades that demand more money for an item aren't. They're both created for the chance that someone inexperienced will buy it for high price. No forcing, no telling lies. Just presenting it the way it is (of course you could try to persuade people to buy it), and hoping that someone will bid/buy.

My only experience in doing it was selling Melted Chocolate Negg (100np) for 1k. didn't say it costs more, didn't say it does anything special. just said that first 1k wins. well, if you ask me, exactly like those big malls, even without those bombastic ads in the Notice Board. all you have to do is check the wizard.

And i want to tell you a story. about one year ago, I sold my Sinsis Sword. I asked for 500k. someone bid a Voodoo Doll (TCG) for it. now, he told me that it actually worth far more than 500k. checked the TP, and people really sold it for 900k-1mil. of course i eagerly accepted the offer. after one week of unsuccesful tries to sell it, i figured out that the price has deflated to 300k. i had to sell it for 250k, and even that with some massive persuasion.
so, what did i do? reported the seller? no. I just accepted the fact that I was acting foolishly when accepting this HTS item. It was then when I learned what is HTS, and in my next sell, i accepted only pure neopints. Yes, instead of boo-hooing, I learned my lesson and continued playing.

Having a good sense of business is not a crime. It looks like TNT are doing everything they can to prevent new people for falling to these legal tricks (so they call it illegal). Well, thats like managing a kindergarten imo. if you're doing stupid mistakes, pay for them. (and again, i do not speak about these scams that lie to you. i speak about tricky ways to sell items for higher price. that won't affect any of the responsible or experienced players).

About the friends playing for you: if i have a good friend, he can just come to my house and play these games. what, are they going to plant secret cams in my room or what?

bgryph: am I "beating someone up" to earn more nps? no way. I hate the kind of people who cheat. I do not cheat. I use fair ways, by the formal meaning of "fair", not by the TNT meanings for it (which is having more business skills than others). again, business skills. not hacking skills and not lying skills.

Erin: i'm not screwing up new players. i don't have any meaning to harm them or to abuse them. i just use my fair advantage (100th time i use this word... experience), and believe me that a player who buys this item for 1k instead of 100np, will check 10 times in the next time when someone offers him a deal that will cause him to lose millions. i'll call that a fair fee for an important lesson (which i had to pay too when i was new, and i don't complain for a moment).

Cranberry: you're right in some aspects, it really doesn't affect my money-making, not even a little bit. the problem is that i already thought of all these things and set a target to do them in the future. this pettiness (that why they call them neopets, don't they?) really annoys me, because it really sounds like "hey, thats a too-good way to make money, its illegal from now on", and this whole attitude really limits the trading. I never saw a game where people who are very familiar with the game can't use their advantages against new players. Its almost a regular method in any beginning of a game - making stupid mistakes coz you're new, and then getting better and make up for them. and i don't see new players run away from these games.

about price fixing (omg, they really invented a name that makes it sound like a war-crime...) - can someone please give me one logic reason why I can't buy all the items and reset the price or offer a weapon for 50% of its price in the TP so other people set the same price and my friend can buy this weapon for lower price? whats wrong with it? i'll be glad to hear any reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:47 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

If we're not allowed to have shops anymore, where did the delete shop button go? When you convert your shop into a gallery, it does that, but it still leaves you with a shop. Is that okay that you have it but don't use it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:50 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Bumping for Editorial 216

Quote:
The old Terms and Conditions said that if we already had more than 5 accounts, we would be allowed to keep them as long as we didn't create any more. In the updated version, this has been taken out. Does it no longer apply? ~ helixnebula
Yes, ma'am. That no longer applies. 5 is the absolute limit for accounts. If you deactivate your extras and just keep five, you'll be fine. You'll also need to designate one as your main and close down all your shops on the other 4 accounts you keep.

So, if you were around before the account limit was imposed, and had more than the current 5 alotted accounts, you are now required to deactivate all of those accounts so that you only have 5? I'm sorry, but what? They're now making the rule retroactive for no apparent reason and completely trampling over some of their most loyal players with this nonsense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:20 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Ouch! Now I have 3 accounts, my main, a lab account for zapping/adopting and a spare that used to be my gallery, now just for treasured pets. And that is sometimes more than enough to try to take care of all those pets (4 on each account).

So, I don't know how people manage 5 accounts let alone more. BUT for people who have been playing on the site since forever, have been loyal through all the changes, glitches, freezings, etc. to have to close accounts and try to choose which accounts and which pets? That to me is just not fair.

If they're going to do something like this, they really do need to institute a way for people to transfer pets ONLY to their other accounts - on the same email so they can try to "consolidate" their favorite pets into the proscribed limit of 5 accounts. I do think this will have repercussions among the oldest members.

Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:55 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

They updated the name thing:

Quote:
More Clarification: Telling someone your name is Billy or Sally is fine, of course! Plenty of people have this in their Neoboard signatures or on their lookups and it's nice when people call you by your name rather than soccerkadoat43211231. However, telling someone your name is Francis Q. Slothberg Esq. and you live at 3333 Friendly Lane in Happyville, Caliwyolaskington is not safe. Anything that can personally identify you is not allowed for your safety.

It's better. I think there's still things that are obviously allowed, things that are obviously not allowed, and a blurry area in the middle, but the blurry area is smaller now.

Nabile pwns you...

            ...At Lenny Connundrum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:08 pm 
PPT Warrior
PPT Warrior

I like the rules, but I'm disappointed. The shop page said that each account could have a shop and gallery, so I had a shop on two side accounts (I don't know if it has any items anymore) It was more a donation sort of thing than trying to make neopoints. It was mainly so I can have a small gallery or neolodge my pets.

Also the voting activities kind of worrys me. From what the beauty contest judge replied when I asked her about having side account pets in the beauty contest, she said it was ok as long as you only use your main account to vote for the pet and make it clear to those you are advertising to that you own the pet you're advertising.

But the way these new terms sound, they make it ambiguious.

If they make it illegal to submit your side account petz in the beauty contest, then I'm leaving neopets. :(

I've got my characters and my ideas, I can use them outside neopets. Neopets was more just a starting point or a crutch for making the characters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:48 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

luv2lindy77 wrote:
I think they're talking about where people role play as if they're at a party.

Person 1: *puts on some music and dances with person 2*
Person 2: *flirts with person 1*
Person 3: Bar's open! *pours drinks*
Person 4: *drinks a gallon and startsh acting shtupid*
Person 1: Great party! *makes out with person 2*
Person 4: *starts food fight*
Person 3: I've got 42 Pan Galactic Garble Blasters here! Come 'n get 'em!
And so on and so forth and all that jazz....

That sort of thing. A bunch of people picking a time to chat with each other is fine. It's definitely different than role playing a party.

I got a warning for having a "party" once because I titled a thread on the Neoboards: "Tea Party." I was trying to do something fun, and gave a cup of tea to everyone who posted. So, basically, you should also avoid using the word "party." On that note, they may say they don't have freezebots, but I can't imagine they don't have warning-bots, because the thread I made had zero to do with role-playing.

Me in a dress - that's a once in a lifetime opportunity

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:23 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I must say- we can complain about things TNT didn't clarify enough, or didn't write about- but it's still a step in the right direction. Will they ever be able to make a T&C that fits what everyone single person wants to know? Probably not. I think this is a good addition though.

As for the scamming thing, like others I think are limits. You can't tell someone an item does something that it doesn't- but if you want to put an item in your shop for higher than other items, well that would be okay in my mind.

I think there are limits on what is considered scamming, and what is not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:21 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

everconfused wrote:
If they're going to do something like this, they really do need to institute a way for people to transfer pets ONLY to their other accounts - on the same email so they can try to "consolidate" their favorite pets into the proscribed limit of 5 accounts. I do think this will have repercussions among the oldest members.

*nods* I agree. Since they gave the gallery feature, I would like to consolidate my accounts, but I would hate to lose my pets in a transfer. The pets match the gallery, so I'd like them to be on the same account!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3