For Neopets ONLY discussion.
Topic locked

PPT Phishing Alert!

Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:52 pm

Warning: the new user "plushiegallery" has been sending PM's and posting messages offering to give away stuff from his gallery; instead, he links you to a fake log-in page, where he will steal your account. It's possible he'll try the same under other usernames. Be careful out there, PPTers!

P.S. I've forwarded the PM I got to several mods, but they're all off-line at the moment.

Here's a picture of the PM I got -- note the actual url for the link in the lower left-hand corner vs. the pretend URL in the message:
CLICK HERE FOR IMAGE

MayEdit: Please keep images less than 500 pixels wide. I have changed your image to a link :)

Re: PPT Phishing Alert!

Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:06 pm

Siniri wrote:Warning: the new user "plushiegallery" has been sending PM's and posting messages offering to give away stuff from his gallery; instead, he links you to a fake log-in page, where he will steal your account. It's possible he'll try the same under other usernames. Be careful out there, PPTers!

P.S. I've forwarded the PM I got to several mods, but they're all off-line at the moment.

Here's a picture of the PM I got -- note the actual url for the link in the lower left-hand corner vs. the pretend URL in the message:
CLICK HERE FOR IMAGE

Yeah. As I said earlier, this person also sent me PMs exactly the same as above but I deleted them. After seeing other people receiving such messages, I should have reported him instead but you did the honours. Thanks! :)

Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:13 pm

I reported this too, but I'm really worried now because there's this new fake login scam on another website that takes your cookies when you click the link, and it doesn't matter if you fall for the page or not. :/

Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:37 pm

Tymaporer wrote:I reported this too, but I'm really worried now because there's this new fake login scam on another website that takes your cookies when you click the link, and it doesn't matter if you fall for the page or not. :/

If anyone's concerned that about this, please take some time and change any passwords you might have had in your cookies now. Then you won't need to worry about losing anything.

Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:48 pm

Cookie grabbing is the reason why I didn't even click on that link. I neomailed the person in the links that the scammer posted. They put a warning message up on their lookup and gallery now.

Edit: Typo :)

Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:16 pm

Thanks, Kaebel. I didn't even go to the gallery because I thought it might be the same person's, and I know in the past people have found ways around TNT's security measures.

Never click a link if you're not sure it's safe. And like Pickles said, if you're worried, change your passwords (and not just your Neopets one -- I'd care more about someone hacking my e-mail account than my Neopets one).

Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:39 pm

Mod staff is well aware and it is being dealt with.

Promise.

Locking this as there is a discussion about it in Site Disc.
Topic locked