For Neopets ONLY discussion.
Topic locked

Should I be worried?

Sat Jul 17, 2004 6:56 am

mailto:thats_wat_i_told_u@hotmail.com added me to his MSN list. He asked me for my neopets username. He told me his, and said he was a lurker from PPT. I didn't take risks, and didn't wanna lose any of my Neopets stuff, so I didn't tell him any of my information. In fact, all I really did was asked him what he was doing, who was he...yeah.

Should I be fine? I didn't give out any information. I've deleted and blocked him.

Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:02 am

I believe you're safe. Just don't let TNT send your password to that account.

Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:10 am

yeah, unless he used some kind of program to get your pass, dunno if anyone can do that

Sat Jul 17, 2004 8:12 am

Good, cause like all I've worked for is in that account and I'm done for if it's hacked :(

He didn't send any files either...and I wouldn't accept them anyway. I never do too, unless I know the person well and such. I wouldn't want a trojan virus :cry:

Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:31 am

Just to be safe, you may want to consider making the email address that recieves your password a safer one, as in not a webmail account. You did the right thing though, just don't say anything to them Neopets-related. You can even ask 'What's Neopets?' if you want to.

Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:58 am

I think your being a little over-cautious. Are you saying you would never talk to anyone who knew you from neopets on MSN?

Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:48 am

twinklyspangle wrote:I think your being a little over-cautious. Are you saying you would never talk to anyone who knew you from neopets on MSN?

Well, I don't use MSN. Besides, you can usually tell when someone is suspicious by how they act. I also tend to try to keep my screenname not very well-known, and only certain people can get on my buddy list so I don't get those sorts of people, let alone a buddy list full of people I don't know. If I knew them and trusted them I'd talk to them.

Plus, since MSN displays your Hotmail account, and many people have their password linked to their Hotmail account, all the person has to do is get into your Hotmail then IM you for your screenname. They'd have to get your secret question first though, which may have been that guy's second goal.

Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:19 pm

Yes, I know that people do do things like that, it just seems a shame not to be friends with someone just because they wanted to know your neopets username. They could have easily just been trying to be friendly.

Re: Should I be worried?

Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:01 pm

Chaud wrote:mailto:thats_wat_i_told_u@hotmail.com added me to his MSN list. He asked me for my neopets username. He told me his, and said he was a lurker from PPT. I didn't take risks, and didn't wanna lose any of my Neopets stuff, so I didn't tell him any of my information. In fact, all I really did was asked him what he was doing, who was he...yeah.

Should I be fine? I didn't give out any information. I've deleted and blocked him.

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLL One day, that Same user appeared on my MSN list! Don'T listen to him...or laugh at him, he's a funny guy.

EDIT: OH well, He use to ask for my password though.

Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:44 pm

I agree with Discordant on this one. Keeping your msn/aim/yahoo screen name not well known, and the fact that it seems web based emails are fairly easy to "crack". I don't use my instant messenger, I keep everyone blocked and an away message on. If I could completely uninstall the instant messaging I would.

This person probably was/is lurking here and on other forums looking for people who have their im posted, like you do.

Twinkly, it does sound paranoid and they could have just been being friendly, but from Vale's post, this person isn't -- they're looking for information. Which is what alot of people just popping up are trying to do.

Sat Jul 17, 2004 5:00 pm

I think you might be safe.. as long as he doesn't get your password...

Sat Jul 17, 2004 5:50 pm

Yes, you should be safe. The only thing he could do is take your pass from some sort of a program, and if he had done that, he wouldn't have bothered to ask you.

Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:53 am

it's true although it makes you look anti-social. it's a fact that many experienced players lost their accounts after communicating outside neopets. AIM and MSN are notorious as well as restock chat rooms. it's fine if you want to disclose your msn hotmail or AIM or go to chatrooms outside of neopets. just totally ensure that your password is totally unrelated to your email and do not direct-connect or allow players to send files over. for me, it's too troublesome so i just cut off everything and announce that i would only be communicating with neopets player through neomail or to a certain extent, the neoboards.

Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:31 am

Vale, you got him too? I don't trust anybody I don't know well, even if I've seen them on PPT. Some people I do know well though.
Topic locked