Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Neopets popular with Google...
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:08 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

I typed in Jelly on neopets and I was surprised to see that the first result was Jelly World - anyone else been surprised how high up a neopets page has come while googling?

ImageImage

Boom-shaka-laka! Rawr come and join us in the Randomness
Sig Halloween'd by Tom!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:26 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

PPT Forum posts are also popular on Google. It'd be interesting to see how may hits your log-in name gets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:27 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

thats because i think they are sorted by page hits, or something of the sort, which is why the most common or official web pages usually show up first.

Jelly isnt the only one... its kind of scary when i type up things im looking for for science or history homework and Neopest pops up.... things like "gong" or "robot" or "snot" or something... i dont know if those work, but things like that pop up with neopets results all the time! Its..... interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:46 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Neopets pages do get a lot of hits. I think that another thing that Google uses to rank pages is the number of links they have, and lots of people link to Neopets pages. Pages you can view without an account are probably more likely to come up high on the Google list.

The Wonder Weezel wrote:
Jelly isnt the only one... its kind of scary when i type up things im looking for for science or history homework and Neopest pops up.... things like "gong" or "robot" or "snot" or something... i dont know if those work, but things like that pop up with neopets results all the time! Its..... interesting.

Yeah, me too. I was just looking up an animal disease for a class, and I got the Neopian hospital. The assignment was to use the symptoms to make a short list of possible diseases it could be, but I really doubt it's Ugga-Ugga. (Now, Sneezles, on the other hand...)

It's just odd to run into Neopets stuff when you're looking for things in real life.

ImageImageImage
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. - Samuel Clemens

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:47 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Neopets has a very high stickyness rating so it quite often comes up top in searches on seemingly unrelated things. I'm suprised I didn't run across neopets before I did actually x)

If you want to see some links about how popular neo is in the grand scale of things:

Time Spent Per Person/Month
Pageviews Per User/Month
Ranked 96th in the world by Alexa.com

Petpet Central

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:47 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

Well, since Jelly World doesn't have a link on Neopets.com, there are a ton of links to it on other sites with, of course, the word "Jelly" in the link. Google takes note that a lot of places link to it and use the word "jelly" so it calculates that as a top site for that word.

Google was once manipulated into making the company SCO the top ranked match for a certain inappropriate word (starts with "ba" and ends in "ds") by a LOT of angry people linking to SCO's website using that as the link text. That's since passed, but it gives some insight into how Google works.

I may not have the word "socks" on my web page anywhere, but if thousands of people link to the page, and the text of the link is
Look at those pink socks!
Google would start ranking my page higher in searches for "pink socks".

So with all the fan sites and help pages linking to Jelly World, it's no surprise that it ranks high for that search.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:06 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

PuddingofEvil wrote:
Neopets pages do get a lot of hits. I think that another thing that Google uses to rank pages is the number of links they have, and lots of people link to Neopets pages. Pages you can view without an account are probably more likely to come up high on the Google list.

The Wonder Weezel wrote:

Yeah, me too. I was just looking up an animal disease for a class, and I got the Neopian hospital. The assignment was to use the symptoms to make a short list of possible diseases it could be, but I really doubt it's Ugga-Ugga. (Now, Sneezles, on the other hand...)

It's just odd to run into Neopets stuff when you're looking for things in real life.

Me three :P Just the other week while doing a research paper on unusual pets i happened to come along a few pictures of Neopets while using Google images.

Neopets is one of the more popular sites if not one of the most on the internet for at least gaming today so these search results make perfect sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:27 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

It's because of the amount of linkbacks Neopets has for those keywords, many fansites link to Jelly world, thus giving Neopets the advantage for the keyword 'Jelly'.

The Virtual pet Forum is the best pets community!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]