Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:05 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: The Physics of Santa Claus
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:29 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

I originally discovered this here a year or two ago, but seeing as the Christmas season draws nigh, I thought I'd repost it...

The Physics of Santa Claus

1) No known species of reindeer can fly. BUT there are 300,000 species of living organisms yet to be classified, and while most of these are insects and germs, this does not COMPLETELY rule out flying reindeer which only Santa has ever seen.

2) There are 2 billion children (persons under 18) in the world. BUT since Santa doesn't (appear) to handle most Muslim, Hindu, and Buddhist children, that reduces the workload to 15% of the total - 378 million according to Population Reference Bureau. At an average (census) rate of 3.5 children per household, that's 91.8 million homes. One presumes there's at least one good child in each.

3) Santa has 31 hours of Christmas to work with, thanks to the different time zones and the rotation of the earth, assuming he travels east to west (which seems logical). This works out to 822.6 visits per second. This is to say that for each Christian household with good children, Santa has 1/1000th of a second to park, hop out of the sleigh, jump down the chimney, fill the stockings, distribute the remaining presents under the tree, eat whatever snacks have been left, get back up the chimney, get back into the sleigh and move on to the next house.

Assuming that each of these 91.8 million stops are evenly distributed around the earth (which, of course, we know to be false but for the purposes of our calculations we will accept), we are now talking about .78 miles per household, a total trip of 75-1/2 million miles, not counting stops to do what most of us must do at least once every 31 hours, plus feeding and etc.

This means that Santa's sleigh is moving at 650 miles per second, 3,000 times the speed of sound. For purposes of comparison, the fastest man- made vehicle on earth, the Ulysses space probe, moves at a poky 27.4 miles per second - a conventional reindeer can run, tops, 15 miles per hour.

4) The payload on the sleigh adds another interesting element. Assuming that each child gets nothing more than a medium-sized lego set (2 pounds), the sleigh is carrying 321,300 tons, not counting Santa, who is invariably described as overweight. On land, conventional reindeer can pull no more than 300 pounds. Even granting that "flying reindeer" (see point #1) could pull TEN TIMES the normal amount, we cannot do the job with eight, or even nine. We need 214,200 reindeer. This increases the payload - not even counting the weight of the sleigh - to 353,430 tons. Again, for comparison, this is four times the weight of the cruise ship Queen Elizabeth II.

5) 353,000 tons traveling at 650 miles per second creates enormous air resistance - this will heat the reindeer up in the same fashion as a spacecraft reentering the earth's atmosphere. The lead pair of reindeer will absorb 14.3 QUINTILLION joules of energy. Per second. Each. In short, they will burst into flame almost instantaneously, exposing the reindeer behind them, and create deafening sonic booms in their wake. The entire reindeer team will be vaporized within 4.26 thousandths of a second. Santa, meanwhile, will be subjected to acceleration forces 17,500.06 times greater than gravity. A 250-pound Santa (which seems ludicrously slim) would be pinned to the back of his sleigh by 4,315,015 pounds of force.

In conclusion - If Santa ever DID deliver presents on Christmas Eve, he's dead now.

QED.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:16 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Excuse me, but Santa is alive and well because of the magic. Duh, everybody knows that.

that's me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:38 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

That definately got a chucke out of me! :roflol:

Thank you. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:32 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I know somebody who'll be getting coal this year. Santa doesn't like naughty little children that prove his inexistance...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:16 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

You know, every time I see this, I laugh at #5 in a very sadistic manner.

Yes, I'm still alive...still alive...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:30 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Location: I don't know, but there'd better be chocolate. [art by Fiddelysquat]
I'm going to quote my Astronomy teacher when he got on a related subject:

"Knowing physics ruins a lot of movies."
(He was talking about how King Kong couldn't exist, but I think the point is still a good one.)
Science is still so mad at magic for having the nerve to exist in a universe where there are all these rules everyone else has to follow. Magic, being mellow from all the mushrooms, just lets it slide.

"Oh, better far to live and die/Under the brave black flag I fly/Than play a sanctimonious part/With a pirate head and a pirate heart."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:52 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Way to not have Christmas spirit.

:(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:39 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Moongewl wrote:
I'm going to quote my Astronomy teacher when he got on a related subject:

"Knowing physics ruins a lot of movies."
(He was talking about how King Kong couldn't exist, but I think the point is still a good one.)
Science is still so mad at magic for having the nerve to exist in a universe where there are all these rules everyone else has to follow. Magic, being mellow from all the mushrooms, just lets it slide.

Well, as they always say, laws are made to be broken. :lol:

No wonder he can live on the North Pole, all that heat stays with him year-round. :P

Speculation Central - Thinking about the future... Today!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:55 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

You forgot to factor in time dillation effects.
Again.

Always without the time dilation.

Besides, we all know he uses Micro wormholes to deliver stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:04 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

the_dog_god wrote:
I know somebody who'll be getting coal this year. Santa doesn't like naughty little children that prove he's inexistance...

You guys better learn to spell my name soon. And I'm not Santa either. ;)

set by whhattisthiss. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:32 am 
PPT God
PPT God

You forget that these reindeer are something else. They are not like normal reindeer. To even begin to equate the two is silly. Your physics are totally disprove by the fact that santa CAME TO MY HOUSE last year, and the last 16 years. And he will come to my house this year as well. Who cares how he does it--he does! Questioning him is silly. Santa is real and that is final. We will see who is laughing when I get a toy from Santa and you don't. :P

Lady Night made me do it :P
Click for Werewolf!
Click for more Werewolf(as well as Role Playing)!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:01 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

santa's bag has a pocket dimention inside of it.

duh.

plus, he freezes time with the help of jack frost and father time.

duh

and the reindeer were normal once. they get fed magic corn, haven't you ever seen the frosty the snowman movies?

plus, santa delivers to more than just christians. they couldn't have christmas specials if that hapened, it would be religious discrimination. *nods*

Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ,
The end of the world!

'Cause if heaven does exist
with a kickin' playlist,
I don't wanna miss it at the end of the world!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:56 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Several key points are overlooked by this callous, amateurish "study."

1) Flying reindeer
First, as admitted, it is possible that a flying reindeer can be found. I would agree that it would be quite an unusual find, but they might exist.
Second, as is widely known (due to the excellent historical documentary "Santa Claus is Coming to Town," the flying reindeer are not a previously unknown species of reindeer, but were in fact given the power of flight due to eating magic acorns. As is conclusively proven in "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" (a no punches pulled look at life in Santa's village), this ability has bred true in subsequent generations of reindeer - obviously the magic acorns imprinted their power on a dominant gene sequence within the reindeer DNA strand.

2) Number of households
This figure overlooks several key facts. First of all, the first major schism in the Church split the Eastern Churches, centered in Byzantium, from the Western, which remained centered in Rome. This occurred prior to the Gregorian correction to the Julian calendar. The Eastern churches (currently called Orthodox Churches) do not recognize the Gregorian correction for liturgical events, and their Christmas is as a result several days after the Western Churches. So Santa gets two shots at delivering toys.
Secondly, the figure of 3.5 children per household is based on the gross demographic average, which includes households with no children at all. The number of children per household, when figured as an average for households with children, would therefore have to be adjusted upward. Also, the largest single Christian denomination is Roman Catholic, who, as we all know, breed like rabbits. Due to the predominance of Catholics within Christian households, the total number of households containing Christian children would have to be adjusted downward to reflect the overloading of Catholics beyond a standard deviation from the median.
Third, the assertion that each home would contain at least one good child would be reasonable enough if there were in fact an even 3.5 children per household. However, since the number of children per household is distributed integrally, there are a significant number (on the order of several million) of one child Christian households. Even though only children are notoriously spoiled and therefore disproportionately inclined towards being naughty, since it's the holidays we'll be generous and give them a fifty-fifty chance of being nice. This removes one half of the single child households from Santa's delivery schedule, which has already been reduced by the removal of the Orthodox households from the first delivery run. Alternately, what if anti-selection applies, and homes with good kids tend to have more than their share of good kids, and other homes have nothing except terrorists in diapers? Let's drop that number of homes down a few more percent.
Fourth, this analysis has relied on a uniform distribution of children across homes. Toronto/Yorkville, or Toronto/Cabbagetown, or other yuppie neighbourhoods, have probably less than the average (and don't forget the DINK and SINK homes (Double Income No Kids, Single Income No Kids)), while the families with 748 starving children that they keep showing on Vision TV while trying to pick our pockets would skew that 15% of homes down a few percent.
Fifth, Santa would have to Fedex a number of packages ahead of time, since he would not be able to fly into Air Force Bases, or into tower-controlled areas near airports. He's get shot at over certain sections of the Middle East, and the no-fly zones in Iraq, so he'd probably use DHL there. Subtract some more homes.
So the number of homes Santa needs to visit is substantially reduced from the initial estimate.

3) Santa's delivery run
These all suffer from the dubious supposition that there is only one Santa Claus. The name "Santa" is obviously either Spanish or Italian, two ethnic groups which are both overwhelmingly Catholic. The last name Claus suggests a joint German/Italian background. His beginnings, battling the Burgermeister Meisterburger, suggest he grew up in Bavaria (also predominantly Catholic). The Kaiser style helmets of the Burgermeister's guards, coupled with the relative isolation of the village, suggest that his youth was at the very beginning of Prussian influence in Germany. Thus, Santa and Mrs. Claus have been together for well over one hundred years. If you think that after a hundred years of living at the North Pole with nights six months long that they remain childless, you are insane. There have therefore been over five generations of Clauses, breeding for over one hundred years. Since they are Catholic, their exponential population increase would obviously have a gain higher than the world population as a whole. There have therefore been more than enough new Santas to overcome the population increase of the world. So in fact, Santa has an easier time of it now than he did when he first started out.
As to speed, Einsteinian Theory that says time does strange things as you move faster. In fact, when you go faster than the speed of light time runs backward, if you do a straight line projection, connect the dots and just ignore any singularity you might find right at the speed of light. So Santa could go faster than light, visit all the good children which are not uniformly distributed by either concentration in each home or by number of children per household, and get home before he left so he can digest all those stale cookies and warm milk.
But Santa only has reindeer, so where does he get the power to move that fast? You calculated the answer! The lead pair of reindeer will absorb 14.3 QUINTILLION joules of energy. Per second. Each. This is an ample supply of energy for the maneuvering, acceleration, etc, that would be required of the loaded sleigh. The reindeer don't evaporate or incinerate because of this energy, they accelerate. What do you think they have antlers for, fighting over females? Think of antlers as furry solar array panels.

Santa dead, indeed - some people will twist any statistic to "prove" their cynical theory.

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Zone/7474/ohsanta.html

No, I never officially left; yes, I am gone forever. I have also permanently left AIM. If you need to contact me, drop a line on LJ. Same username.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:14 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

well, about santa being spanish/italian, i dont know. at lçeast the spanish bit. im portuguse, spain's next door neighbour and the word that looks the most like Santa is Santo, wich translates to Saint. Saint Nick perhaps?

I need a new sig. >_>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:49 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Location: BrokenSea Audio Drama Productions. Thanks Bangel for the set!
Immortal_Z wrote:
santa's bag has a pocket dimention inside of it.

duh.

The sleigh is a TARDIS, and Santa is a Time Lord. That's how he does it :P

PPT'S OFFICAL VOICE ACTRESS! (click image for link)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next