If you're feeling down and blue and need a little pick-me-up, then this is the place to be people!
Topic locked

Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:47 am

Blew up about half a dozen 15 volt batteries once.
And about five meters of wire melted.
And half dozen of those mini-me light bulbs.
and burnt the table o_O

That was fun.

Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:21 am

Yep, lots of times. The simple way of doing it is to get a plasma ball, and while touching it with one hand move your other hand towards a conductive metal. A little bolt of electricity will shoot from you to the metal.

It's cool as hell, although there's a burning smell afterwards.

Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:42 am

Ixist wrote:
It's cool as hell, although there's a burning smell afterwards.

That burning smell has always freaked me out. Its like we are cooking without feeling much heat or pain :P

Licked 9 volt batteries. I got a few shocks from messing around with my cars sound system. I got a few in power outlets. also our sink used to have metal pipes and those touched the fridge..if you touched the sink and the frisge at once you got a heck of a shock. Enough to turn a light on. We tried it with one of those light testers. I held the fridge door and the light tester in the other hand. i let the tester touch the sink and it lit up :P

Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:55 am

electricity+water=BAD.

Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:04 am

Technically, water doesn't conduct electricity. Its the ions in impure water that conduct electricity as they move from one area to another. Take that Pokemon!

Anyway, having thought I had turned my computer off at the wall, I proceeded to open her up to change sound cards. I soon realised that I had foolishly only switch off the monitor.

Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:15 am

I don't think I've ever done anything too shocking. *groans*

Lately, however, the dryness in my house has made me get a hefty shock whenever I go for the light switch.

And now I really want to lick a nine volt battery. o_O

Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:39 am

Ski wrote:
And now I really want to lick a nine volt battery. o_O

Its not that bad. i find the tingly feeling quite funny actually ^_^

Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:06 am

There's a lightswitch in our basement that gives a mild electric shock when someone flips it. We have another one at the top of the stairs, so we just use that one.
When I was nine or so, I'd just gotten out of one of those plastic backyard "pools" and decided to touch some piece of machinery that was nearby. I'm pretty sure it was an air conditioner in the window. I don't remember anything else about that day, but I sure remember that part.

Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:39 pm

*shudders* Electricity freaks me out. I've never shocked myself other than static shocks (which happens a lot, especially in winter.)

Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:37 pm

I got a nasty one from my lightbulb last September. I unscrewed the lightbulb but had broke it. The live wire was sticking out and I brushed against it with my hand. Felt like the lightbulb had grown really strong and was preventing me from moving my hand away! And my hand stung afterwards :(

Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:08 pm

I've grabbed a spoon, placed it near the gas cooker, and pressed the spark button to give myself small shocks.. t'was strangely addicting...

Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:10 pm

Um... I pulled a NES Power AC adapter that had been in use for days out of the walls an licked the metal prongs. (seriously... don't ask why, I just did.)

It was a tiny jolt, and hurt a little bit, and I just sort of sat there staring off into space for a while, but it wasn't that bad.

the_dog_god wrote:Technically, water doesn't conduct electricity. Its the ions in impure water that conduct electricity as they move from one area to another. Take that Pokemon!

PIKACHU WOULD LIKE TO HAVE A WORD WITH YOU IN HIS OFFICE, NOW!

Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:29 pm

Moongewl wrote:There's a lightswitch in our basement that gives a mild electric shock when someone flips it. We have another one at the top of the stairs, so we just use that one.

That's because the switch isn't properly grounded. Throw the appropriate breaker to "off" and replace the switch (they're cheap, and it's worth it in case the switch itself is the problem). Also, make sure that the ground wire is correctly hooked up this time - it'll be coated green or it will be bare, and either is acceptable. If you/your family/your helpful-but-still-kinda-creepy neighbor Carl doesn't feel comfortable doing it, hire an electrician.

Switches that shock are the sorts of switches that can cause fires in the right (wrong?) circumstances. You should get that fixed as soon as you are comfortably able to.

Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:48 pm

ahh, I remember i had a spark party in my basement.I shoked my self so much.It was even a bright blue.Man that carpet is so staticy. :(

Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:48 pm

Anoohilator wrote:I've grabbed a spoon, placed it near the gas cooker, and pressed the spark button to give myself small shocks.. t'was strangely addicting...

I would so be trying that if we still had gas!
But. Well. The whole "burning the kitchen" and "giving yourself carbo monoxide poisoning" things put that one down.
Coal will be gone soon too, as I keep burning myself.
Topic locked