Anything and everything goes in here... within reason.
Topic locked

Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:31 am

Would someone mind explaining what they are? :D

Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:35 am

zorg wrote:Would someone mind explaining what they are? :D

Cicadas. Read the first page.

Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:24 am

I had only heard about them last month.
They're just huge beetle/bugs or something that come out this season every 17 years in certain areas. I live in California, so we don't have them. My friend in the midwest, however, got a nice experience with them. He says they're not extremely attractive things.

Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:16 am

vkceankraz wrote:He says they're not extremely attractive things.

He's right.
It's quite an experience to step out onto your front porch to find your cat batting around a half-dead one.

Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:24 am

Oh cool :) Thankyou :)

And i didn't mean it like "they" I meant what are Cicidas

Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:01 am

zorg wrote:Oh cool :) Thankyou :)

And i didn't mean it like "they" I meant what are Cicidas

I only know about the cicadas in New Zealand, they are small shiny metalic green/black bugs about an inch long, they spend all day clinging to telephone poles buzzing out mating songs.

Sun Jun 13, 2004 12:46 pm

aren't they bugs?
Whats the big deal about them?

Sun Jun 13, 2004 1:16 pm

Thankyou Zorg, I had absolutely no clue whatsoever what they were either.

Sun Jun 13, 2004 1:20 pm

Nasty looking thing

Sun Jun 13, 2004 1:26 pm

AAAAArrrrggghhhhh!!! Don't scare me like that. Please tell me they aren't that big in real life? How big are they?

Anyway, so where do they stay when they're not out then?? Hibernate? Or do they die off?

Sun Jun 13, 2004 1:41 pm

no, they're not that big. I'd say they're about half that size. And they stay underground for several years, usually 17. But there are some 13 year ones too. Takes em that long to mature and come above ground. After that, I don't know.

Sun Jun 13, 2004 1:50 pm

Ahh, interesting. Strange how we've never discussed this in a biology lesson.

Sun Jun 13, 2004 5:10 pm

Apricus wrote:And despite popular belief, they do come out every year in the places that have them. There are just a whole lot more of them that come out every seventeen years. I know that a few come out every year because I hear them every summer.

Yea, for example, I get them every year in Lexington, Kentucky.

More cic...whatevers for me! =D

Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:52 pm

Ughhhh... That's so gross. Yergh. That pic made my skin crawl.
When Chris said metallic black/green, I instantly thought of the beetles you see buzzing around in S. California sometimes, but they don't look a thing like that image. Thank goodness. Ew. Skin still crawling.

Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:13 pm

Do they come to Israel? I remember seeing them when I was in america. I remember my dad catching them and explaining to me about them. Then I would hold them, and the allways jumped away... :?
Topic locked