Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 11:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: how can you do so well in school?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:59 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

theres this girl in my high school, shes in gr10. and she gets over 97% for her course marks in every single course except P.E.

how does one do so well?!!!! I MUST KNOW

- w i s

Post subject: Re: how can you do so well in school?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:35 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Generally by studying hard and being naturally gifted at the subject matters and at test taking (it is a very odd skill, and once you hit the real world you realise how much it sucks). Seriously, i've found at least in my job, it doesn't matter what percentage of the job you've done right, if it's wrong, generally it's still wrong. There are just worse kinds of wrongs then others. It's an odd feeling and one that really is quite spooky once you start thinking about it.

Evisceration is a sign of respect.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:01 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Location: I don't know, but there'd better be chocolate. [art by Fiddelysquat]
Generally, I've found that the ones with the highest grades tend not to be the smartest, but they figure out their teachers' systems and do their work based on that. I used to fill my worksheets with gibberish because I knew the teacher didn't read them; I wrote a paper praising every aspect of a book I hated because I knew she loved it; I speak up in classes where the teacher weights participation points very heavily. So often, hard work can be bypassed by figuring out what the teachers want and giving that to them. Between that and my natural test-taking ability(I am the master of multiple choice and matching), I can go entire semesters without studying.
The downside of this is, of course, that I don't learn much. After the class is over, the material leaves my brain. So I only work like that when it's a class that I have to take, and can't stand either the teacher or the subject. (That paper I mentioned was for a teacher who almost made me walk out of her classroom after she made some idiotic and rude statements.)

"Oh, better far to live and die/Under the brave black flag I fly/Than play a sanctimonious part/With a pirate head and a pirate heart."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:50 am 
PPT Baby
PPT Baby

It's really a lot of hard work mixed in with a bit of common sense. I graduated high school with around a 97% average (and I got 96% in gym so I'm not her xD), and my apologies if you think I'm showing off but I just want to put it out there that it's not difficult. But it's not like all I did was study. You just have to make sure you put in the time and DO the homework, and make sure you assess every detail when you do your work.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:59 am 
PPT God
PPT God

From experince, it's all about doing the work, noteably the homework. School isn't that hard even if you are taking top classes, you just have to be willing to go that extra step (not mile arrrggh my knee couldn't take it.) I got about 95% in each class last year 'cept spanish cause I think it is WAYY beyond me. But I'm fine in P.E. because they messed up my knee so badly last year in the famous "fun run" incidnent that I basicly don't do anything in gym. :lol: But otherwise being smart helps, but if you are lazy you knowledge is going to waste and you won't be at the top of your classes.

Set by Byakuya'<3

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:18 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Or she could simply be better than you.
I routinely score perfect marks in Maths, and often do very well in English science and History (Of course this only happens until finals at which point I stress out something chronic, have a break down, and fail it in a spectacular fashion)

It's an odd thing to say, but you should take comfort in there being people in the world better than you. If she got it through one of the Autism defects she's living in Hell anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:48 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

ouch, asthaloth, the cynicism, it burns!

over 97 in every course is impressive, but i can say that just over 90 isn't too hard, in grade 10 at least. though it might help, it's really not all about the homework. it's definitely all how you study, and how efficiently you study. also, paying attention in class is really helpful, since they pretty much do the homework for you in class if you listen. but just being able to pick out and grasp concepts that you think could reasonably be on tests is important. before tests, i always hear people going over really random things, and i'm always like, what the heck? insane specifics are generally unimportant. and if ever you need to figure out something, or want to know if some specific is on a test or something, ask a teacher. they'll generally tell you.

but getting 97 in gym? i dunno, i never could do that. become pro at running?

Losers are those who do not try

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:39 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

*Shrug*
I've never met anyone who is unequivocally smarter than me, what can I say.
(By which I mean has a higher IQ, I have quite often been bettered by someone in one field, just never overall)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:17 pm 
PPT Baby
PPT Baby

I have real issues with people quoting IQ has a good indicator of 'intelligence'. There is tons of research out there to support the fact that IQ is NOT a good indicator of intelligence because scoring well on the test is really biased towards factors such as education level, where you grew up, etc. etc.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:31 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Location: Los Osos, CA, USA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy
My experience doing well in HS, after working to death on projects and studying constantly, was mostly having a good to great report with my teachers. I was never the best student (outside of math, science, and history) but since I was friendly with the teachers and always helped out, that added a little bump to the grade when I would be on the bubble. If the teacher knows you put the effort in, then you might get some leeway on the subjective side of grading. This is one of the reasons I love the physics dept here. A lot of the teachers are friends with the students so we can go to any of the for advice. They know we put in the time on our projects and reports. I doubt I would have passed some of my classes if it weren't for good teacher relations.

Set by Cukupan
Ohayo Nippon every Sunday at LW
I *heart* R
I'm on a boat like a boss

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:47 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Well, a lot of it is just being naturally good at schoolwork, which isn't much help. One thing I would say though is get a reputation as a good student. It's amazing how much you can get away with like that. I can read through entire classes and no one cares, and it's so much easier to get away with not having homework done if the teacher likes you.
Although, given the difficulty of changing reputations, that might not be something you could do if you're already in high school(unless you're in a really big school, you might be able to then, I wouldn't know). Other than that, make sure you do the homework, and if you don't understand something make sure to ask about it. In writing based classes, if you have the option to rewrite papers, do. Pay attention in class, take good notes, and try to not to procrastinate(although I know how hard that one is...)

<3 Laq

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:01 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Moongewl wrote:
Generally, I've found that the ones with the highest grades tend not to be the smartest, but they figure out their teachers' systems and do their work based on that. I used to fill my worksheets with gibberish because I knew the teacher didn't read them; I wrote a paper praising every aspect of a book I hated because I knew she loved it; I speak up in classes where the teacher weights participation points very heavily. So often, hard work can be bypassed by figuring out what the teachers want and giving that to them. Between that and my natural test-taking ability(I am the master of multiple choice and matching), I can go entire semesters without studying.
The downside of this is, of course, that I don't learn much. After the class is over, the material leaves my brain. So I only work like that when it's a class that I have to take, and can't stand either the teacher or the subject. (That paper I mentioned was for a teacher who almost made me walk out of her classroom after she made some idiotic and rude statements.)

Yeah...critical thinking classes are a beast that way. My sister has written a lot of tripe for some of her required classes because she knows the teacher would agree with it and give her high marks. It's actually pretty sad because a lot of the time, her papers are just so badly written...all one-sided talk and opinions but very little real substance and insight to back them up (which is what she thinks she's being taught anyway). Not that she's a bad writer but these papers are practically a mockery of the material. The teacher thinks she's writing in a fit of passion when really she's making fun of all the material she's had to read on the topic. I've never seen her get less than an A on one of these papers. No one has asked more of her.

It's not fair. XD I got a B in one of my more critical thinking classes and I actually AGREED with the teacher. But she expected more from me, which makes me feel better actually since I'm sure she expected more from the people who handed her tripe.

But she'll work hard and study her butt off for more defined classes, like math. You can't BS a test like that.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:40 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

nannerz wrote:
I have real issues with people quoting IQ has a good indicator of 'intelligence'. There is tons of research out there to support the fact that IQ is NOT a good indicator of intelligence because scoring well on the test is really biased towards factors such as education level, where you grew up, etc. etc.

The IQ test was done independently by an expert in the field, and I scored in the top 5% of mankind.
I did terribly in school because of stress, I grew up in a place with some of the worst schools in the country, I miss the simplest of Metaphors, I lack Empathic skills and I will never fit in.
And I will not have anyone down play my intelligence because they are a little sore that I'm smarter than them.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:07 pm 
PPT Baby
PPT Baby

I have taken two psychology courses that both argue against IQ being a good indicator of intelligence. I am not downplaying anything, I'm just pointing out some research that has been done in this area and people should be aware of it.

And if you believe that you are smarter than me, more power to you, I never said I had any problems with that. :) My goal in life is not to be the smartest person around.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:15 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Blag it.

IQ is a dodgy indicator and to go by it alone is pretty stupid.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next