Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:11 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject: Re: Homework Help Thread--SPLIT
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:18 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Location: I don't know, but there'd better be chocolate. [art by Fiddelysquat]
We learned this poem with I was in fifth grade. I don't always remember every couplet from the poem, but I've always remembered the parts of speech.
And here's a place that will let you create your own vocabulary test.

"Oh, better far to live and die/Under the brave black flag I fly/Than play a sanctimonious part/With a pirate head and a pirate heart."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:34 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

Thanks for the help, Moongewl! I've got to bookmark that site after I finish making the test.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:02 pm 
PPT Baby
PPT Baby

Does anyone know where I can find something about the ancient Romans trying to rule territory from Spain to Asia Minor? My book is no help. Thank you a bunch to anyone who can help.

Set by Neko! (thankies)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:09 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

This. is. driving. me. crazy.

I have literally spent a couple hours on this, trying it different ways, but not getting the correct answer. Help.

"If a ball is thrown into the air with a velocity of 37 ft/s, its height (in feet) after t seconds is given by y = 37t - 16t2. Find the velocity when t = 1."

I'm in calculus and we're working on limits and derivatives -- so I should take f ' (1), right? But when I do that and solve it through, I end up with 21, which according to WebAssign is not the correct answer.

This isn't a case of not knowing HOW to do it...it's that I don't know WHAT to do with what I know o_O

Any help is *greatly* appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:52 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Eidolon wrote:
This. is. driving. me. crazy.

I have literally spent a couple hours on this, trying it different ways, but not getting the correct answer. Help.

"If a ball is thrown into the air with a velocity of 37 ft/s, its height (in feet) after t seconds is given by y = 37t - 16t2. Find the velocity when t = 1."

I'm in calculus and we're working on limits and derivatives -- so I should take f ' (1), right? But when I do that and solve it through, I end up with 21, which according to WebAssign is not the correct answer.

This isn't a case of not knowing HOW to do it...it's that I don't know WHAT to do with what I know o_O

Any help is *greatly* appreciated.

What is the formula you got for f'(1)? I think I know what you did wrong -- look carefully at the second part of the equation. (I don't want to give it away, but I do want to help.)

Blue graffitied on my signature... But it made me laugh, so it's all good!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:01 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

Okay...I figured it out, after beating my head against a wall some more -_-

Still not sure what I did WRONG the first time, but I know I did something differently the second time! The key to this seems to be working agonizingly slow...there's just so many places for you to accidentally mess up a sign or a variable or something.

Thank you :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:41 pm 

Well, the answer is 5, right?

When you take the derivative of an equation, you step the exponents of the variables down by one power, and then multiply the OLD power by the coefficient.

You were correct in recalling that the equation for height (distance) is the derivative of the equation for velocity.

So the finding the derivative would go like this (note I use a carat, ^, to identify exponents):

y = 37t - 16t^2

Is the same as

y = 37t^1 - 16t^2

So, we step down the exponents:
y' = 1*37t^(1-1) - 2*16t^(2-1)

Which gives us

y' = 1*37t^0 - 2*16t^1

t^0 is 1 (any number to the zero power is 1, you'll recall). Similarly, t^1 is obviously just t.

y' = 1*37*1 - 2*16t

Simplify:

y' = 37 - 32t

Input t = 1, and get 5.

(side note: this is easily checked by remembering that acceleration downward due to gravity is 32 f/s. If the initial upward velocity is 37, and we look at t=1, then 37-32 = 5).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:22 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

Apparently, I need to explain how to simplify this problem:
14x + 8 - 20x / 5 + 2(x - 1)

Using my calculator, I've gotten the answer 6 but I don't know how I do the math so I can't get to the explaining. My calculator also says that anything with x is 0.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:35 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Xaidread wrote:
Apparently, I need to explain how to simplify this problem:
14x + 8 - 20x / 5 + 2(x - 1)

Using my calculator, I've gotten the answer 6 but I don't know how I do the math so I can't get to the explaining. My calculator also says that anything with x is 0.

Hmm...I can't tell how much you know about simplifying, so I'll just give you the full lecture.

Since that problem has a variable (x), you can't simplify it down to just a number: the simplified form will have to have x in it, since you don't know what x equals (don't go with your calculator on these kinds of problems). You have to combine the x terms, then do the rest of the math. Make sure you get 4x out of 20x /5. Also, you'll have to distribute for 2(x-1)--which gives you 2x-2. You should end up with something like -6x + 8 - 4x + 2x +2, which is much easier to simplify than the original equation.

If you need an easier example, take a look at this problem:
7x + 5(x+4)
First, distribute the 5 to get 5x + 20. Then add the 5x and 7x. Your final answer would be 12x + 20. This IS simplified even though it isn't just one number.

I hope I wasn't just restating what you already knew there.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:33 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Split! Continue helping here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=37519

:)

ImageImageImage
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. - Samuel Clemens

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11