Anything and everything goes in here... within reason.
Topic locked

Practical Tips for winter Weather?

Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:46 pm

Ok, so winter is comign in fast, what are some winter tips that maybe your grammsies told you when your were five. Come on all, lets keep warm with it!

Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:00 pm

Always carry lip gloss/chapstick to keep your lips hydrated in the dry winter air. :) That's a must. I never go anywhere without my lip gloss. :)

Also, you shouldn't take long hot showers in the winter because the air is so dry. It will make your hair and skin dryer becuse you lose the moisture into the air. Use body lotion after a shower as well.

I know I know more. If I can think of them, I'll post them up. :)

Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:03 pm

Avoid shovelling snow:
Put rock salt on your sidewalk/steps/etc. before the snow falls.

If at all possible, place your boots, socks, gloves, scarves on/in front of the heating vent when you're indoors. You can put them on right before you go out, and they'll be toasty. You can also try it with a radiator.
It's easiest if the vents are in the floor/bottom of the wall. If they're in the ceiling, or high on the wall, it's pretty much impossible.

Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:10 pm

Sapphire Faerie wrote:Avoid shovelling snow:
Put rock salt on your sidewalk/steps/etc. before the snow falls.

If at all possible, place your boots, socks, gloves, scarves on/in front of the heating vent when you're indoors. You can put them on right before you go out, and they'll be toasty. You can also try it with a radiator.
It's easiest if the vents are in the floor/bottom of the wall. If they're in the ceiling, or high on the wall, it's pretty much impossible.

Gosh, such a Southern response from a Northern gal.

the rock salt doesn't always work. I've seen storms where it comes down so fast that the salt itself is overpowered. When it comes to shovelling snow, I really think that just going out every two hours or show and shovelling up like that is so much easier, it relieves the "Crap, I need to go buy more salt", the "Darn! there's like 3 feet of snow out there and it's great exercise.

Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:44 pm

Get a bunch of scarfs and dress like a ninja (face-wise). I've found that it works. Lots of those sweaters, shirts, coats, etc. made out of fleece are nice too.

Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:54 pm

Wear double layered socks to keep your feet warm - I find that cold feet really irrates me the most, I don't know about you though, just me.

Wear layers of clothing, for instance, wear a sweatshirt, a fleece, and a winter jacket, I find that works the best.

For pants - I don't really have any suggestions, nor ideas, just wear warm stuff.

Also keep stuff out of your face, try wearing scarfs (As mentioned in someone elses post) Collared shirts can be very nice because they protect your neck.

And last of all, SNOWBALL FIGHT! :P

Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:06 pm

Let's see... always wear gloves- I've found that you use your hands much too much to have them frozen. If you don't have any gloves, get them or use socks. Yes, I said socks. They work wonders.

For all of you people who are obsessed with fashion (*barfs*), wear clothing in layers. I personally like wearing short-sleeved shirts with sweat-shirts underneath. And by the way- turquoise is supposed to be the new "in" color this season, so again if you're fashion-obsessed, buy winter clothing in that color. :)

Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:07 pm

If you need to warm your hands, do arm circles. They increase bloodflow--start with fists moving in small circles, then get bigger and open your hands as you go.

Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:21 pm

If you don't have snow pants (or wind pants) both of which are a MUST on the windswept and snow happy prarie-forested part of the world I live in (central Alberta), try wearing a pair of jeans with sweatpants overtop.
If you go horse back riding in the winter, don't use a saddle, the horse will keep you warm! (But brush off any ice/snow off of the horse first. *nods*)
Have extra gloves handy at all times even if they're just really thin ones. Something is always better then nothing. And wet clothing will do you no good. (I have *glances around* a pair of fur lined winter gloves, they're awesome for everything).
Shovel the snow (if you're awake, don't wake up in the middle of the night to shovel) before it gets to be really deep. And if you have to use one of those flattened ho type things (Ice picks? Or ice slides i think they're called) (Maybe ice scraper?) make a mark in the ice about an inch wide and the length of the scraper and then try to slide the pick underneath the ice that way (this works really great for snow thats packed down!).

*shrugs*
Always wear a toque.
Last edited by ahoteinrun on Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:28 pm

I used this one for camping and bush camps

If you're going to be out in the cold for an extended time, always carry hard candy and keep sucking on it, the extra calories help keep your body warm.

you can't avoid shovelling here, not when you can get a good 4 feet of snow at one time. shovel every hour instead of waiting for the snow to stop, it's not as hard on your body as trying to lift it at once.

Thermal underwear does work.

If you wear earrings and are going to be out for an extended period of time take them out. I didn't and totally frost bit my ears to the point of almost losing them (they did turn black) and keep your head covered.

Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:32 pm

Ladys and gents, if this was gold, I would be rich....so I guess i'm rich in words! Ahoiterun, you live in my privince?! Edmonten or Calgary...or red deer...or High river?

Keep it coming my luvs, this is gotta last all winter!

Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:37 pm

Heh.
Edmonton and Red Deer.
And technically you live in... MY province (since i'll assume i'm older, thusly, I was here first).

*keeps Calgary comments to myself*
Edmonton has less days with frost/snow then Calgary does!
But Red Deer last year was hitting temps of -50... so... i'm not sure where i'm better off. But that was in January.
*shrugs*

I enjoy the winter. I have some wicked pictures of horror frost... i'll have to get more this year to scan and show. Winter rules! YA!

Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:58 pm

speaking of Hoar Frost, I got some awesome pictures of those, I take pictures of the tree's when it happens.

is one that my Step Dad took

Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:30 am

Don't stay inside for a long time when your warming up. When you go back out, you'll get colder faster than before you were in.

Take off jewelery if your going to be outside for a while, if its a metal. It gets so cold and will freeze or something. My ring froze to my finger last year, and wouldn't come off for about a week, and boy did it hurt while I was getting warm again!

Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:33 am

Well there's not much I can offer when I live in the middle of central florida,where it only snowed once.

So I'll offer some Florida advice.

Watch for freezes,helps if you have a friend whose family is in the orange grove business like I do. ;)
Cover your tropical/brittle plants when a frost comes.Well BEFORE it comes.

DON'T POUR HOT WATER ON YOUR WINDSHIELD IF THERE IS ICE ON IT. we were informed by mechanic family members it can crack the windshield. I think hose water works,unless like ours was one time...it's frozen too. I've heard credit cards work too.

If I remember any more I'll let ya'll know.
Topic locked